Add Electronic Gift Cards (e-gift cards) or ability to buy store credit
E-Gift Cards, or simply buying Oculus store credits, solves many problems while being relatively easy to implement.
- Parents can add credits for their kids, allowing them to choose games to buy without needing to store their credit card information
- Friends and family can buy e-gift cards, print them, and stick them in a holiday card or have them delivered to the recipient on a future date
- People can indirectly use it to gift games to each other ("Here's a $20 credit, use it to buy xxxx so we can play together!")
- Facebook doesn't need to solve physical card distribution problems or negotiate with storefronts to carry the cards
- A credit system already exists, and Oculus already uses it for promotional purposes (meaning the functionality already exists to direct it to a recipient, claim it with a code, and apply it to your account)
This can be implemented in time for the holiday buying season, which will be important for customer satisfaction. It will also help the developer community by broadening the number of people that can put money into the Oculus Store ecosystem: friends and family that don't own Quest (2), but know someone that's receiving one for the holidays.
Bobby Sotsavanh commented
This is especially important as vr becomes more social in Horizon. I've already met friends on the venues platform and have started playing games on multiplayer having a blast. Sometimes people don't have games and I would love the ability to gift them if I have the cash
Nick Schulte commented
yes please! it was so annoying when i just got my quest