Next gen oculus go
I was saddened to read that Oculus has no plan for a next gen Go. I already twitted at Jason Rubin about this, but figured it'd be a good idea to post here too.
I think that there's a place for an entry level headset, and that the Oculus Go serves this space nicely. However, there's no real upgrade path except to the Quest. If I like my Go and something happens to it, or I just want to move to a next gen, kind of like I'd do with some other devices.
(By the way, I own a Quest, and the future addition of a Go mode would likely solve some problems with it, but for me 3 DoF use-anywhere is a feature, and the price of both the Go and its content is attractive. I think there's a place for such a headset even in a world where the Quest exists.)
Of course it'd be nice to have a better screen, but even without this I think that there are a few things which would be helpful:
- 4 GB of RAM instead of 3 GB.
- 64 GB of storage by default. (Both RAM and flash costs have dropped quite a bit since the Go was released.)
- Better battery life. That and lowered heat could be achieved by using a modern mid-range CPU instead of an old high-end one. I don't have a real idea of how it will affect the BOM (board cost), but hopefully it won't negatively affect it. Even though it would be a side-grade, it could potentially also add some performance.
- Upgraded controller and second controller. Even just adding a shoulder bumper would help add interactions, but a second controller with a thumb stick could really help push gaming on the Go to the next level.
- Higher resolution video playback (if there's any low cost SoC which supports it).
That's my wish list, but of course as others have said, lower weight would also be nice (could again be helped a little by a lower power SoC), and some IPD adjustment (even if in software).
I'd prefer ultra slim & ultra light version:
Freeform Limbak lenses with super resolution
Super resolution in DK2 comparison:
7 nm revision for no heatsink, simply holes for heat air flow.
7 nm also for better battery, then lighter battery
Same $ price after 2 years but 199€ in Europe, under 200 psycologic barrier, not 219.