This is what you guys need to do for Rift 2/next PCVR (and overall productline) (whenever it comes)
Below is a comment I made on youtube and I thought I would send it to you here, since it has a lot of great ideas, what the community wants/need and some inspiration for you guys to work with.
Please do read it all and make sure the right people see it, obviously we all know you are not going to make a new headset, probably, the next 2-4 years, but still! I honestly think that some suggestions within this long comment, can truly help you guys to go beyond (plus ultra!) with your next-gen headsets and controllers, whenever that might be.
"Rift S is better than the Quest, in every single way.. YES, it lacks IPD adjustment physically (though, not a problem for me) and the sound could be better (but it's literally better than the one on the quest as well).. but PCVR will always be to prefer over standalone, at least until standalone can be to where PCVR is right now, which is probably... not until +10 years from now.
Sure, I would like a wireless PCVR headset, but it's not really that much of a bother at all.
HERE IS WHAT WOULD BE OPTIMAL FOR THE FUTURE.
So, HTC is currently working on it's "cosmos", which is a hybrid, it can be a PCVR headset, but ALSO connect to mobile and work in that way, which is basically what the future would be.
So, here is what the next Rift needs, which will kill both the RIft S and the Quest and anything else.
- For now, for the Rift S, the 1 LCD screen is great and works fine (though it has issues when it comes to the IPD), but the Rift 2 should definitely have 2 LCD/OLED (it doesn't really matter, it depends how they make it and optimized it) screens.. so , ye,.. back to having 2 screens in the headset, to have physical IPD adjustment.
- Higher Fov (atleast 160 degrees)
- Higher hertz (at least 90, anything above at that point is still just a waste and something that will make it more expensive)
- Index controller like Touch Controllers (for now, the Index controllers are simply a gimmick and has no real use in any game and won't have for years, so it's fine that they haven't done it now, because again.. it's just a gimmick)
- WIRELESS, OF COURSE.. but with a tether you can plug-in to charge it and keep playing, when it is low on battery
- Improved Halo-headband , in my opinion.. the Halo headband is much better than the Quest/OG Rifts one, but they need to make it better still, higher quality and also allow the headset itself to "tilt" as you want it, now you can just put the halo headband higher or lower on your head, but that does not allow for optimal comfort for some people.
- Hybrid (again, allow for both PC, streaming (PC/Mobile)
- A sixth camera in the back, that can capture everything behind the back/head.. literally about 0% tracking issues.. then there is the issues with the controllers being infront of one another, but they'll have to put something inside the controllers as well or simply do so that one Halo ring on the controller is up and the other is down, that literally fixes that problem as well (what I mean is, imagine taking one controller and turning it around, so that the tracking ring is under your hand, istead of over.. problem solved (not the best design, but just a quick idea).
That's it.. this would be the perfect next gen VR headset and some would argue.. that the Index has higher fov, higher hertz, it has the gimmicky (for now) controllers.. but first thing is about the problems with the index..
- The controllers is and will continue for years, to be just a gimmick and have no real use
- Too expensive (it doesn't matter if you have the money or not, it's still too much and Valve knows it too, what Valve also knows though, is that they can easily sell the Index at that price and since they have no real competition who delivers the same specs, they have no issues doing it)
- External sensors (Sorry guys, whether you want it or not, inside-out-tracking is not only BETTER, it allows for faster tracking.. YES! it's not perfect by any means (neither is the external ones though), but eventually
- headband design seem very similar to the OG Rift/Quest, so that could be improved as well, THOUGH.. this is not 100% certain yet, not until we have actually tried it on.
And I'm not going to lie, if I had the money.. I would buy the Index, simply because of the better specs, but fact is fact guys.. we all want the same thing here, so let's keep focusing on that."
That's it. Thank you guys for reading and I wish you all a great day!
Patrick Sommer (Oculus supporter! - 100%)